Sunday, March 16, 2008

Switzerland
On March 13th, Madeline celebrated her 14th birthday by having breakfast in Zurich, lunch in Interlaken and dessert in Bern, Switzerland! Our scenic train ride through Switzerland was really beautiful. Zurich was just a quick overnight – then we took the train through Lucerne, Interlaken and on to Bern for three days. For some reason, I didn’t love Bern. I think my expectations were high and I was a little disappointed. The town itself is pretty, but is has a pulse about it that doesn’t seem to fit with its scenery. For a small town, it has a big energy – even in the off season. I’m ready and excited to move on to Milan.

In Bern we spent some time at the Kunstmuseum, which has a less than thrilling permanent collection, but the special exhibit by Adolf Wolfli was quite fascinating. After reading Wolfli’s bio, I am convinced he is one of those “truly mad” artists. His manic works of art are embedded with strings of text, musical notes and ornamental art. They are extremely detailed and interesting - doodle like. Matt didn’t care for them, but I was really taken with the style and the entire collection as a whole.

The “Bear Cave” of Bern – more like a “Bear Pit!” Two very bored looking bears lying in a round cement pit with rocks and some cut up wood – a little depressing. The famed clock in the center of town was nothing like the grand glockenspiel in Munich (and nobody seemed too interested in its performance). The Christ-catholic Church in Bern is one of those gorgeous gothic churches that I think are completely cool. I cannot pass a church without going inside. I’m just fascinated with the different interpretations of faith and worship throughout time and from place to place. My favorite thing was visiting Einstein’s apartment on Kramgasse. To walk up the same creaky wooden stairs that Einstein walked up while thinking about his Theory of Relativity was definitley a thrill. Einstein lived in Bern from 1902 to 1909. Here’s what he said about Bern…

“I shall mention only one of the scientific experiences which those happy
years in Bern brought: the Theory of Relativity.” Einstein

Jeez – all I did in Bern was eat and sleep!
See you in Milano!

1 comment:

Joel said...

Hey there!!

You are so diligent and I am so appreciative of your writing so often. I feel that I am right there with you. I loved the "favorite" responses. This time is not wasted on unappreciative people and I am so glad you were all inspired to do this and to think you have only begun.

All our love. Sorry, I haven't kept up the last couple of weeks.

Our best to all of you.

BTW: See if you can find the text of Obama's speech today about race. It is very inspiring. I sure hope he makes it to the finale.