Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Salzburg!
Wow! What a magical experience this has been. This city is gorgeous, clean, quiet, filled with charm and history and begging for people to walk all over it! We didn’t take public transportation once (except for the tour out to the Lakes Region) and we loved every minute. Today we walked to the top of Festungsburg Fort (right in the middle of the city) and the views were stunning. Salzburg is nestled in a valley surrounded by snow covered mountains and green expanses of land. It really does look like the Sound of Music! Yesterday we took a bus out to the Lakes Region (about 20 miles out of Salzburg) and we were really happy we did. We saw part of Austria we probably would not have seen, had we not done the tour. Fun fact – Red Bull was invented in this tiny town about 15 miles outside Salzburg and when you pass through you see the Red Bull campus, which is filled with ultra-hip, very modern glass buildings surrounded by water and it’s quite impressive!

We stayed in a very cool apartment and it really felt like home. The girls agreed that today was one of their favorite days so far and that they will return to Salzburg one day! (which is exactly why we’re doing this!) Off to Zurich for a quick stay, then to Bern, Switzerland!
Peace

2 comments:

Carol McCoy said...

Hi Guys,
I just got done reading your entire blog and looking at your pictures. Lisa, I love the way you write. I often felt like I was right there with you or maybe it was wishful thinking. What an amazing journey you have all had so far, so many magnificent places, not to mention the priceless time spent together and the memories you will have to last a lifetime. I look forward to checking in again soon.
Love & Hugs, Carol, John & girls

Unknown said...

What great photos! I almost didn't recognize the Matt-and-Lisa-In-40-Years photo. You both look great in long coats and hats!

Lisa, your writing is, indeed, fantastic. I have visited only some of the places that you have been and feel like I've revisited them and met new ones. What an amazing advernture you're having. I miss you all and look forward to seeing you soon. However, I wouldn't want you to cut the trip by even one day just because I am lonely!

By the way, I had no idea that Matt was the Wood Maven of Saltzberg.

Love, Tim and Gail